Dragon Naturally Speaking Video 10 – Drag and Drop
Published: | No Comments
Reading Time: 2 minutesHere is the tenth video in my series about using Dragon NaturallySpeaking voice recognition software.
In this video I show you how you can use the Dragon voice commands to emulate drag and drop functionality on your computer. This is useful on some websites – for example when manipulating widgets or custom menus in the WordPress admin screens. But the commands can also be used to move or copy files on your computer – either in file manager or explorer software.
I demonstrate two methods in this video:
- The first method uses the “Mark” and “Drag” commands alongside the Mouse Grid functionality (see Video 8).
- The second method uses the “Drag mouse” commands. This method is more cumbersome than the first method and probably will only be used if the Mouse Grid method doesn’t work for some reason.
This is Graham Armfield from Coolfields Consulting, and in this video I’m going to show you how you can emulate drag and drop functionality with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
In some situations it is necessary to employ drag and drop techniques to achieve a desired result. Dragon offers two methods of drag and drop functionality and I’m going to demonstrate those now.
For my example I’m going to use this screen from a WordPress admin area of a website. This screen allows site administrators to allocate widgets to the various sidebars on the website by dragging them into the appropriate slot. I’m going to demonstrate that now using the mouse – just so you know what I’m talking about.
Like that. And put it back.
The first method I’m going to show you uses the mouse grid technique and the commands ‘Mark’ (to indicate the element that needs to move) followed by ‘Drag’ (to indicate the destination).
Wake up, Mouse grid, 4, 5, 1, 6, Mark.
Mouse grid, 5, 3, 4, 9, Drag. Go to sleep.
And there you are, it’s arrived.
In some situations dragging using mouse grid doesn’t work as expected, and so it might be necessary to use the mouse drag technique instead.
Wake up, Move mouse left, Faster, Stop.
Move mouse down fast. Stop.
Drag mouse right, Fast. Stop. Go to sleep.
So there you are, it’s now in place.
These techniques can be used wherever drag and drop is required. We’ve seen it used here on a website but you can do the same for managing files on your laptop or PC, for example.
The rest of the series
Here are links to the other videos in the Dragon NaturallySpeaking series.
- First Two Dragon NaturallySpeaking Videos on YouTube
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Video 3 – Opening Applications
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Video 4 – Dictating Text
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Video 5 – Correcting and Formatting Text
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Video 6 – Browsing the Web
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Video 7 – Following Links on Web Pages
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Video 8 – Emulating the Mouse
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Video 9 – Internet Forms
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Video 10 – Drag and Drop
There are no comments yet - would you like to leave one?
Like to leave a comment?
Please note: All comments are moderated before they will appear on this site.
Previous post: Dragon Naturally Speaking Video 9 – Internet Forms
Next post: I’m Taking Part in Inclusive Design 24